From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:06:41
1 On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:21:28 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3 | maillog: 11/05/2005-16:41:37(+0100): Ciaran McCreesh types
4 | > On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:59:42 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
5 | > wrote:
6 | > | 1) Human. It's frustrating to do emerge sudo and have it tell you
7 | > | to specify, when there's only /one/ "normal" sudo. The /other/
8 | > | sudo should be vim-sudo or whatever, as you mention later.
9 | >
10 | > Silly. Then you'd *always* have to give the full name of a package
11 | > when merging, in effect... emerge sys-devel-gcc rather than emerge
12 | > gcc with emerge sys-devel/gcc as a fallback, for example.
13 |
14 | But we are only arguing of getting the categories (partially) in the
15 | package name only where there is a necessity. The example with sudo is
16 | with app-admin/sudo being strictly sudo, and app-vim/sudo being
17 | vim-sudo. So we keep the current names except for those that clash,
18 | and even there only change as little as possible.
19
20 So we end up not using upstream naming, leading to major hassle with
21 tarballs, major user confusion and inconsistent naming (why are some vim
22 things vim- and others not?). Bad! Now that portage *tells* you when you
23 need to be more specific, there's no problem with name matches.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm