From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:01:12
1 maillog: 11/05/2005-19:06:37(+0100): Ciaran McCreesh types
2 > So we end up not using upstream naming, leading to major hassle with
3 > tarballs, major user confusion and inconsistent naming (why are some vim
4 > things vim- and others not?). Bad! Now that portage *tells* you when you
5 > need to be more specific, there's no problem with name matches.
6
7 I'll agree with you here. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to decide
8 what package will get a part of a category in its name. I was going to
9 propose a "plugins/extensions for an application get the name of the app
10 prepended + dash", but there would surely be others that will prove me
11 wrong.
12
13 I am giving up on arguing a point that involves too much effort for too
14 little gain. So, considering that the flat-naming is not feasible (I
15 cannot counter some of the point that were made against it, the above
16 being one of them) I'd like to stop shooting out ideas and restate the
17 problem that I think needs to be solved:
18
19 How do we prevent a current category/package combination like
20 net-wireless/gnome-phone-manager from becoming something else like
21 app-cellphone/gnome-phone-manager?
22
23 More preceisely, what I'd like to see, in order of preference, is
24
25 - that package in my overlay that has net-wireless/gnome-phone-manager
26 in its *DEPENDs to work for as long as needed
27 - the net-wireless/gnome-phone-manager that I have in my overlay to
28 work for as long as needed
29 - my net-wireless/gnome-phone-manager binary packages to work without
30 having to be "fixpackage"d
31 - the location of the ebuilds for net-wireless/gnome-phone-manager to
32 stay in the same physical path on my filesystem
35 \/ Georgi Georgiev \/ Weiner's Law of Libraries: There are no \/
36 /\ chutz@×××.net /\ answers, only cross references. /\
37 \/ +81(90)2877-8845 \/ \/