From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:59:27
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 10:11 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote: >> What's wrong with: >>   * having an "early mounts" list file >>   * having an "early modules" list file >>   * init system in early boot (e.g., OpenRC in init.sh) loading "early >> modules" and mounting "early mounts" from /etc/fstab > > You're assuming that the /sbin/init hasn't migrated to /usr/sbin/init. > Other that that, it sounds like a perfect solution if you're in the "I'd > rather die than use an initramfs" camp. > -- > Thanks, > Zac >
__Everyone__ is already using an initramfs, therefore there are no initramfs-less systems anymore (it may just be empty). Every single person reading this thread that has not already done so needs to immediately go read the relevant documentation located in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt, then and only then can a real discourse be had. Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc, etc. :/ -- Matthew W. Summers Gentoo Foundation Inc.