From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:59:27
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/14/2012 10:11 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
3 >> What's wrong with:
4 >>   * having an "early mounts" list file
5 >>   * having an "early modules" list file
6 >>   * init system in early boot (e.g., OpenRC in init.sh) loading "early
7 >> modules" and mounting "early mounts" from /etc/fstab
8 >
9 > You're assuming that the /sbin/init hasn't migrated to /usr/sbin/init.
10 > Other that that, it sounds like a perfect solution if you're in the "I'd
11 > rather die than use an initramfs" camp.
12 > --
13 > Thanks,
14 > Zac
17 __Everyone__ is already using an initramfs, therefore there are no
18 initramfs-less systems anymore (it may just be empty). Every single
19 person reading this thread that has not already done so needs to
20 immediately go read the relevant documentation located in
21 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt,
22 then and only then can a real discourse be had.
23
24 Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite
25 nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc,
26 etc.
27
28 :/
31 Matthew W. Summers