From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 07:22:33
1 Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:33:04 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > [Udev-systemd has] essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs
4 > from non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX.
5
6 Agreed, to this point.
7
8 > Actually, for political reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch
9 > bugs+patches, and gets them rejected. Then whenever anyone complains
10 > about not sharing code, show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from
11 > systemd/udev maintainers.
12
13 This attitude is and the described events would be... unfortunate.
14
15 For the reasons you list, I don't believe people should be /surprised/ if
16 many such bugs+patches are rejected after submission, but that wouldn't
17 make it any less unfortunate, and IMO, hoping they DO get rejected is the
18 wrong attitude to have.
19
20 The best possible outcome, IMO, would be that the eudev (and any other
21 udev replacement projects) eventually work themselves out of a job.
22 Ideally, the very existence of these projects will trigger a rethink on
23 the part of the udev folks, causing the reasons for the fork to disappear
24 over time. Ideally, with effort and compromise on NIH and similar
25 attitudes on /both/ sides, differences can be put aside and udev (whether
26 it remains developed under the systemd umbrella or not) can once again be
27 the unifying influence its authors claim to intend.
28
29 To some extent the hubbub has already appeared to trigger incremental
30 walkbacks and/or the exploration of third ways. The kernel's recent
31 addition of its own module loading code, endorsed by the udev folks, is
32 one such third way development. Perhaps I'm reading my own viewpoint
33 into things, but it seems from here anyway, that the systemd-udev side
34 rhetoric on initr*-less support for a separate /usr is... less
35 strident... than it was. And kmod was initially required by new udev,
36 but is now optional. I'd call all of these good developments... that may
37 well have never occurred had pushback including but not limited to the
38 eudev project hadn't occurred.
39
40 Ideally, then, the need for eudev as an actually installed systemd-udev
41 alternative will disappear even as eudev is being born. However, that's
42 no argument yet for termination of the project and in fact is arguably
43 the reverse, given systemd and now udev's history of ignoring feedback
44 from those it's riding roughshod over, as long as people continue to LET
45 it ride roughshod over them. The existence of the eudev project,
46 therefore, may continue to be necessary, if only to provide a practical
47 udev alternative such that udev itself moderates to the point that the
48 alternative need not be actually used on a system.
49
50 But at least there's an alternative now, so that regardless of whether
51 systemd-udev moderates or not, people aren't left without recourse.
52 Hopefully that moderation occurs and the alternatives can ultimately be
53 merged back in, but there's recourse now, so people are no longer
54 actually dependent on udev-systemd's moderation.
55
56 Which way that takes both udev-systemd and eudev remains to be seen, but
57 I'd /still/ consider it /unfortunate/ if those bugs+patches do appear and
58 get WONTFIXed, thus, certainly I hope they appear, but just as certainly,
59 one can HOPE they get resolved/merged, *NOT* resolved/WONTFIXed.
60
61 Time will tell.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman