From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 05:00:04
1 Matti Bickel <kabel@××××.de> posted 20060810215951.GA8456@×××××.athome,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:59:51 +0200:
3
4 > Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Why do arch testers need to post `emerge --info` if everything works?
6 >> Shouldn't we be able to trust that they have sane CFLAGS, proper
7 >> FEATURES, and an up to date system?
8 >
9 > Once there was the idea of putting AT testing system specs somewhere, so arch
10 > devs could actually see what we're running. Is this still needed or is the
11 > number of ATs small enough to keep that in head-RAM?
12 >
13 > Anyways, I agree that posting emerge --info to a highly frequented stable bug
14 > is annoying and should be abolished.
15
16 Even back before it became the "in" thing, I was posting emerge --info as
17 attachments, because it simply fit the bill -- bugzy /says/ to put long
18 stuff as attachments. I never did quite understand why all that
19 admittedly often useful high-volume spew was tolerated in the bug comments
20 themselves.
21
22 I like the idea above, tho. For ATs especially, having some place where
23 emerge --info could be posted just once, with a link to it instead of the
24 duplicated inline /or/ attachment, makes even more sense. Presumably,
25 where it's posted could have dated versions, too, allowing for updated
26 flags without invalidating the info pointed to for older links. If
27 variation off the norm was needed or used for an individual package, that
28 could be noted in the comments along with the link to the standard info.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list