From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:40:22
1 On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 04:56:18 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Even back before it became the "in" thing, I was posting emerge
5 > --info as attachments, because it simply fit the bill -- bugzy /says/
6 > to put long stuff as attachments. I never did quite understand why
7 > all that admittedly often useful high-volume spew was tolerated in
8 > the bug comments themselves.
9
10 Personally I find it a lot easier to read a bug when the emerge --info
11 data from people is inline. Frequently, the trigger for a bug becomes
12 apparent when you compare the emerge --info of the various people who
13 see a bug, and it's a moment's effort to scroll up and down the bug to
14 compare data. This process takes longer if the info is in a bunch of
15 attachments.
16
17 [re. posting AT configs somewhere]
18 > I like the idea above, tho. For ATs especially, having some place
19 > where emerge --info could be posted just once, with a link to it
20 > instead of the duplicated inline /or/ attachment, makes even more
21 > sense. Presumably, where it's posted could have dated versions, too,
22 > allowing for updated flags without invalidating the info pointed to
23 > for older links. If variation off the norm was needed or used for an
24 > individual package, that could be noted in the comments along with
25 > the link to the standard info.
26
27 I think the info changes frequently enough that it's easier, and more
28 likely to be correct, if it's posted to the bug at the time the report
29 is made.
32 Kevin F. Quinn