From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:23:36
1 On 08/10/2016 06:10 PM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > We, like almost everyone else and presumably upstream, install PCRE 8
5 > as libpcre.so.1. Debian, for reasons best known to themselves, install
6 > it as libpcre.so.3. With Ubuntu still being the most widely accepted
7 > "standard" Linux desktop, this presents a problem when dealing with
8 > pre-compiled binaries.
9 >
10 > I have been working on a script to replace the rather lacking
11 > steam-games-meta ebuild (see steam-overlay). I'm very excited about
12 > releasing it soon as I think it is a major step forwards in our ability
13 > to easily run Steam without the official Ubuntu-based runtime.
14 >
15 > Before I put it out there, I'd like to get Alien Isolation working
16 > properly. It links to libpcre.so.3. Hacking the binary might work but
17 > this isn't ideal and not always an option as some games use Valve's
18 > anti-cheat system, which is ruthless.
19 >
20 > I have found that creating a symlink in /usr/lib that points
21 > to /lib/libpcre.so.1 works, except that when you run ldconfig, it
22 > automatically creates another symlink from /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 to
23 > libpcre.so.3. If you create the first symlink in /lib instead then the
24 > existing /lib/libpcre.so.1 holds after running ldconfig. The latter
25 > location is therefore probably preferable.
26 >
27 > Would anyone have any issue with adding this to our libpcre package? I
28 > don't foresee any problems. libpcre.so would obviously still point to
29 > libpcre.so.1. I'm pretty sure there will never be another libpcre.so.3
30 > as upstream have released PCRE2 as libpcre2, effectively an entirely
31 > separate library.
32 >
33 > I could create a Steam-specific package for this but that would mean
34 > adding some additional Steam-specific location to ld.so.conf, which I'm
35 > trying to avoid. It would be nice to solve this generally anyway.
36 >
37 > Thoughts?
40 Whilst devs are discussing the future of Valve's offerings on gentoo,
41 it'd be wise to consider the effects of "Vulcan" as it is FOSS where all
42 video card vendors can inter-operate with multiple game vendors. Vulcan
43 will impact those gaming codes, as Vulcan seems to be the clear pathway
44 forward for Valve related to Open Source communities [1 3].
47 [1]
48 http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/valve-directx-12-does-not-make-a-lot-of-sense-vulkan-does/
49
50 [2]