From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:18:21
1 On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > On 16/02/2013 07:08, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
4 >> What happens why a user runs --depclean and has a masked package
5 >> installed? Oh that's right, it uninstalls. My systems do that
6 >> automatically, but you are welcome to assume "stupid user didn't read
7 >> messages" if that is easier.
8 >
9 > That's not right. It doesn't.
10 >
11 > emerge -avuDN blah-blah-blah
12 >
13 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
14 > - media-gfx/blender-2.64a::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
15 > /var/cache/portage/tree/profiles/package.mask:
16 > # Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> (05 Feb 2013)
17 > # Needs a complete ebuild rewrite to use CMake, and a new patchset to
18 > # unbundle the bundled libraries. Use at your own risk; don't ask for
19 > # a bump unless you can provide the two needed items.
20 >
21 > emerge --depclean
22 >
23 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
24 >
25 > x11-misc/makedepend
26 > selected: 1.0.4
27 > protected: none
28 > omitted: none
29 >
30 > All selected packages: x11-misc/makedepend-1.0.4
31 >
32 > So, I'm afraid you're exaggerating a little bit. Yes, we should look
33 > better in which firmware packages to remove (because they are merged in
34 > linux-firmware or the driver is gone), but that does not mean we should
35 > not ever consider touching ever a single one of them.
36 >
37 > And I mean, we've had quick-stable updates that were much more
38 > destructive than "just" removing the firmware of the nic (which is most
39 > likely still available to emerge if the user is not using eclean-dist).
40 > udev-197 anyone?
41
42 So because we did things badly in the past, that is an excuse to do
43 things badly in the future? :)
44
45 I do not necessarily encourage developers to make mistakes. Mistakes
46 will happen (as we are all human) but we should probably strive to put
47 some effort into not screwing up.
48
49 -A
53 > --