From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:52:51
1 On 16/02/2013 07:08, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > What happens why a user runs --depclean and has a masked package
3 > installed? Oh that's right, it uninstalls. My systems do that
4 > automatically, but you are welcome to assume "stupid user didn't read
5 > messages" if that is easier.
6
7 That's not right. It doesn't.
8
9 emerge -avuDN blah-blah-blah
10
11 !!! The following installed packages are masked:
12 - media-gfx/blender-2.64a::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
13 /var/cache/portage/tree/profiles/package.mask:
14 # Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> (05 Feb 2013)
15 # Needs a complete ebuild rewrite to use CMake, and a new patchset to
16 # unbundle the bundled libraries. Use at your own risk; don't ask for
17 # a bump unless you can provide the two needed items.
18
19 emerge --depclean
20
21 >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
22
23 x11-misc/makedepend
24 selected: 1.0.4
25 protected: none
26 omitted: none
27
28 All selected packages: x11-misc/makedepend-1.0.4
29
30 So, I'm afraid you're exaggerating a little bit. Yes, we should look
31 better in which firmware packages to remove (because they are merged in
32 linux-firmware or the driver is gone), but that does not mean we should
33 not ever consider touching ever a single one of them.
34
35 And I mean, we've had quick-stable updates that were much more
36 destructive than "just" removing the firmware of the nic (which is most
37 likely still available to emerge if the user is not using eclean-dist).
38 udev-197 anyone?
41 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
42 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/