From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problem: HOWTOs archive versions
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:34:28
1 On Saturday 28 July 2001 20:21, you wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 08:14:13PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > This is not meant to revive the versioning question.
6 > >
7 > > The various app-doc/howto ebuilds (by pm) have no versions, because the
8 > > standard howto archives have none. The ebuilds define version 1.0
9 > > arbitrarily, but they always download the newest archive with the same
10 > > address and filename.
11 > >
12 > > Do you think we should manage this situation in a better way?
13 > >
14 > > Should we try to work with setting the version dynamically at merge time
15 > > to the archive's timestamp?
16 >
17 > Best solution for right now is to create our own version of the archive
18 > with a timestamp, and write the linuxdoc people to create these archives
19 > with a timestamp (20010728, for example) as the version number:
20 >
21 > linux-howto-20010728.tar.gz
22
23 OK, but I forgot to introduce the more important question: what about
24 checksums (i.e. message digests)? Should we check for & create a new ebuild
25 for a new timestamp every week or so, or should we override checksums? And
26 how do you override them?
29 Dan Armak
30 Gentoo Linux Developer
31 Matan, Israel