From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:15:53
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:53:48 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > William Hubbs schrieb:
5 > > Maybe FUD is the incorrect way to put it, but I think us doing
6 > > something about it at this point is definitely premature since
7 > > KDBUS is no where near ready to go -- they were forced to retract
8 > > it a while back because they had to re-think the design.
9 >
10 > kdbus got sent for inclusion in the kernel, and they were sure ready
11 > to pull off their plan back then if kdbus had been accepted.
12 >
13 > Whether switching to eudev now is premature is actually the central
14 > issue of this whole discussion. Given that dropping support for udev
15 > on non-systemd systems was narrowly avoided once, and upstream leaves
16 > no doubt that they are ready to do so once their redesigned kernel
17 > message bus goes upstream, I say describing such a move as
18 > "definitely premature" is not warranted.
21 > Best regards,
22 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
23
24 Thank you for bringing this information to the forefront of this debate.
25
26 So, is it not better for us Gentoo-er's that wish to not install
27 systemd, to set the default non-systemd udev to eudev. In that way,
28 maybe eudev will get more contributed support and Anthony more eyes on
29 things. It seems that unless kdbus is perpetually rejected by the
30 kernel team... it is only a matter of time.
33 So, I say, we've all had enough bickering about the subject.
34
35 Time for a final vote!
36
37 If we had all spent our time working on real problems as
38 we've spent reading this never ending debate mail...
39
40 but alas, this will be yet another item that must be decided by the
41 council.
42 --
43 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>