From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:56:41
1 On Friday 21 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 20:52 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 20 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > Also, my plan for this would be add the copying of the .bash* files
5 > > > from /etc/skel if and only if USE=build *and* the files do not already
6 > > > exist, done during pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst somewhere. This will pull
7 > > > it into the stage1 tarball, making it available to everyone on all
8 > > > further stages, it keeps it from being done every time someone emerges
9 > > > bash, it doesn't stomp on existing files, and it doesn't show up in VDB
10 > > > linked to the bash package. Is this acceptable?
11 > >
12 > > no, bash is not a special case
13 > >
14 > > why not add an `emerge --config baselayout` to the end of stage3 and i'll
15 > > do the /root/ default setup in the baselayout ebuild
16 >
17 > I'd rather not do anything that isn't accomplished automatically by the
18 > ebuild when it is being merged. If this really is so objectionable, I'd
19 > just assume WONTFIX the request and move on with it.
20
21 as outlined already, it's objectionable in the sense that once a user has
22 entered the system, nothing can be assumed in the automatic case. by the
23 user running `emerge --config baselayout`, we can assume that the behavior it
24 exhibits (for example, setting up files in /root that dont exist
25 from /etc/skel/) is expected.
26
27 as also explained, tying into USE=bootstrap and USE=build is not correct as
28 that does not represent everything in stage3 and there is no way to detect
29 the stage2->stage3 state vs a normal emerge.
30
31 the compromise is simple: catalyst runs --config at the end of stage3 for
32 appropriate packages, but as to what those things actually do is left in the
33 ebuilds.
34 -mike