From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: proxy-maint@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:56:30
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:35:15AM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 >
5 > > Hash: SHA256
6 > >
7 > > With all of the unclaimed herds and unclaimed packages within them, I
8 > > started to wonder what will happen after the GLEP 67 transition
9 > > finally comes to fruition. This left me with some concerns and I was
10 > > wondering what the community thinks about them, and some possible
11 > > solutions.
12 > >
13 > > There is a large number of packages from unclaimed herds that, at this
14 > > time, look like they will not be claimed by developers. This will
15 > > likely result in a huge increase in maintainer-needed packages (and
16 > > subsequent package rot). This isn't to say that some of these
17 > > packages weren't previously in a "maintainer-needed" like state, but
18 > > now, they will explicitly be there.
21 > Speaking as the dude who founded the treecleaners project...all things die.
22 > Even software. While some may yearn for a software archive (nee,
23 > graveyard!), I put forth that the gentoo-x86 tree is not such a thing. Do
24 > not weep for the unmaintained packages that will be cleaned![1]
25
26 I couldn't have said this better myself. The gentoo-x86 tree is not a
27 software archival service. If packages are unmaintained, that is what
28 the treecleaners project is for is to boot those packages out of the
29 tree.
30
31 I would like to see a possible timelimit set on how long packages can
32 stay in maintainer-needed; once a package goes there, if we can't find
33 someone to maintain it, we should consider booting it after that time
34 limit passes.
35
36 If someone wants to run the graveyard overlay and keep those old
37 packages around more power to them, but they definitely do not
38 belong in the main tree if they are unmaintained for an extended period
39 of time.
40
41 William