From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Stable Staleness (mostly toolchain)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:09:07
1 As the lead for the treecleaner project (team, whatever you want to call
2 it wolf ;) ), I've been trying to fix old broken packages, many have
3 been slated for removal, some have had minor fixes, and others are still
4 setting waiting for me to get some free time.
5
6 Another class of packages I wish to discuss (not remove quite yet, just
7 talking ;) ) are older packages with stable markings. By Stable I mean
8 debian stable, IE we stabled it in 2004 and no one has touched it since.
9
10 Do these packages still work with a current system (linux 2.4/2.6,
11 glibc-2.3/2.4, >=gcc-3.4, etc...
12
13 So partially this is a question for gcc porting, how many *known broken*
14 apps don't get fixed when we upgrade and stable a gcc version. Do these
15 stay in the tree, and do they have deps on older versions of gcc
16 (effectively masking them, since old versions of gcc generally get
17 masked by profile eventually).
18
19 How many apps are just sitting in the tree and no one knows if they
20 compile at all with a recent system?
21
22 Solar already has some decent tinderboxing scripts, it would be
23 interesting to me to have a system to keep track of the known state of
24 certain categories of packages that are...less used ;)
25
26 I think also that genone's Gentoo-Stats project would be a great
27 information aggregator as we could identify packages that no one uses
28 anymore.
29
30 Anyway, these were just some thoughts I had about trimming the tree a
31 bit; feel free to rip em apart as always :0
32
33 -Antarus
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list