From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: enewuser/enewgroup getting their own eclass
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:14:03
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò posted
2 <200511231930.38340@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:30:21 +0100:
4
5 > On Wednesday 23 November 2005 19:15, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 >> I'd be willing to make all the changes to the tree to facilitate this,
7 >> and unless someone has a really good reason not to do so, I think I'll
8 >> probably do it after the Thanksgiving holiday.
9 > Well if you can give us an ISO date it would be simpler ;) Mainly because
10 > I have nfc when "Thanksgiving holiday" is...
11
12 Fourth Thursday in November... so tomorrow...
13
14 However, traditionally, it's a long weekend, with office and government
15 workers having Friday off as well, and Friday then becoming the biggest
16 shopping day of the year (many stores open at 6 AM and have 1 hour, two
17 hour, 'till noon, and/or rotating hourly specials) as the first day of
18 the "official" Christmas shopping season, and often the only
19 non-weekend day many office workers get.
20
21 Thus, "after the Thanksgiving holiday" could mean either on Friday, or
22 after the weekend, Monday/Tueday-ish, so it's still a bit ambiguous. In
23 any case, it's relatively soon, altho with the message just posted, Friday
24 would give half the time to respond compared to early next week.
25
26 >From an outside perspective, I'm sure it's amazing and crass that USians
27 see nothing unusual about the national holiday of thanks being
28 directly followed by the biggest day of commercial greed in the entire
29 year, as the opening day of the biggest season of commercial greed,
30 obsensibly as preparation for the day of celebration of the birth of Jesus
31 Christ, the man seen as the Son of God, and quoted as saying it's easier
32 for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get
33 into paradise! Interesting commentary on our culture!
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
39 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list