From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 06:51:16
1 Roy Bamford posted on Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:41:15 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 2011.08.18 10:59, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 >> Understood that infra gets to complain, but that still doesn't tell me
7 >> what the deprecation policy is. Keep all my large patchsets
8 >> indefinitely? Or remove them when an ebuild no longer needs them? Or 1
9 >> year after an ebuild no longer needs them?
10 >>
11 > Just as long as we can provide the patch sets for a period of at least
12 > three years, in case someone asks. Thats a GPL requirement.
13 >
14 > Thats not to say the files need to be online but Gentoo needs to be able
15 > to provide them on request.
16
17 That's a very good point and "legal matters, and potentially it matters a
18 lot!", but AFAIK it's not exactly correct (and "legal matters, and
19 potentially it matters a lot!").
20
21 I am not a lawyer, etc, but as I understand it...
22
23 1) Generally, the GPL source-provision rules *ONLY* apply if you're
24 shipping binaries in the first place, not for sources-only, which fulfill
25 the source-provision by definition.
26
27 Since in *MOST* cases, Gentoo is shipping source, not binaries, where
28 that is the case, we don't need to worry about the GPL source provision
29 rules.
30
31 However, we DO ship SOME binaries, both in the packages images and in the
32 stages and live-images. Here, we DO need to worry about the GPL's source-
33 provision rules. The below point applies to this case.
34
35 2) For those shipping binaries, the GPLv2 (I'm not particularly familiar
36 with the GPLv3 in this regard so can't say, for it) offers two
37 independent ways to fill the source-provision requirements.
38
39 2a) The provider can make sources available at the same time/place and by
40 the same method as the binaries. There's some precise definitional
41 detail to same time/place and method requirements designed to ensure that
42 if a user finds the binaries, they at least should be aware of the
43 availability of the sources, but the point is, AS LONG AS the sources are
44 made available similarly, that fulfills the sources-provision
45 requirement, NO THREE YEAR RULE APPLIES!
46
47 2b) If the provider chooses NOT to make sources available at the same
48 time/place and by the same method, AN ALTERNATIVE is to be able to
49 provide them on demand FOR THREE YEARS AFTER THE BINARY IS NO LONGER
50 PROVIDED. *THIS* is where the three-year rule comes in. It ONLY applies
51 if the binary provider chose not to go with the same time/place/method
52 alternative. An additional requirement here is that sources must be
53 available to ALL (not just customers/those-who-originally-downloaded-the-
54 binaries) who make the request, but again, it only applies if the same
55 time/place/method alternative wasn't chosen.
56
57 It's worth noting that this discussion has come up before on this list
58 and is archived. At that time, it was noted that Gentoo was still making
59 available downloads of the 1.4 and earlier install media, "for historical
60 interest", and that because we were still shipping them (and because they
61 contained GPLv2 content), that obligated Gentoo to providing exact
62 sources (including but not limited to the original tarballs, and all
63 patches, plus scripts, etc, as necessary) until three years after Gentoo
64 quit making them available.
65
66 IIRC, the (first) decision then, since providing those sources was going
67 to be very difficult if anyone DID ask, was to take down those "for
68 historical interest" images ASAP, so at least the clock would be ticking
69 on that three-year requirement.
70
71 I know I didn't follow up to ensure it was done. I hope someone did.
72 FWIW, the legal responsibility would (AFAIK) fall on the foundation, so
73 it would presumably be their job to ensure this was done, and from that
74 point, that previous media were taken down in a timely manner so as not
75 to get Gentoo in that situation once again.
76
77 The second decision then (again, IIRC, but it's in the archives if anyone
78 feels the need to look it up), and I've seen it made elsewhere as well
79 (Gentoo's not the first to conclude it's by *FAR* the least hassle), was
80 to have and enforce a Gentoo policy that we ALWAYS complied with the same
81 time/place/method option, so we never had to worry about the three-year-
82 clock on the by-request option at all.
83
84 Again, I believe it's the Foundation's responsibility here, so they're
85 the ones that should be ensuring this is enforced. FWIW, while I do have
86 an interest in software freedom, thus my reasonably close following of
87 the discussion at the time (and the degree to which I understand the
88 distinction between the two sources-provision options in the first
89 place), my personal legal butt isn't in the sling here, so I've felt no
90 need to personally follow-up and ensure this policy is being followed.
91
92 Thus my point in the context of this thread. As long as Gentoo is
93 continuing to follow the policy decided then, that of always ensuring
94 that sources are made available at the same time and place, and by the
95 same method, as the binaries we are shipping, we've done our duty and
96 shouldn't need to worry about digging up sources, at least to fulfill the
97 LEGAL GPLv2 requirements, at all.
98
99 As for GPLv3, while as I said I've not researched it to the same degree,
100 I /believe/ that the same ideas apply, except that if anything, they've
101 stressed the same time/place/method option even more, since it far better
102 fits the Internet world of today, at least relative to the somewhat
103 quaint implications of physical media requested and sent by snail mail,
104 that the by-request-for-three-years option sort of has.
109 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman