From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] busybox[sep-usr] support for mounting /usr w/out hassle
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:02:47
1 On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon
2 <chainsaw@g.o> wrote:
3 > Binaries that are essential for system boot, and must be available in
4 > single user mode go in /bin and /sbin, with their libraries in /lib.
5 > This allows for /usr to be:
6 > 1) marked read-only for NFS mounts, which some of us rely on
7 > 2) inside of an LVM2 container, allowing for / to be (very) small
8 > 3) on a squashfs filesystem, in order to save space
9
10 These are all things easily supported with an initramfs. In fact,
11 initramfs-based solutions allow the same sorts of things to be done
12 with all the other filesystems and not just /usr.
13
14 > Trying to second-guess my motivation, and trying to undo unanimous
15 > council votes simply because your opinion is different, really has to
16 > stop.
17
18 I don't think anybody is trying to undo council votes - people are
19 just speculating as to what they voted on. The easiest solution is
20 for somebody to say "I'm John Smith, and I am speaking officially for
21 the council, and we agree that what was decided upon is X."
22
23 It seems pretty clear that everybody wants to support a separate /usr.
24 We even have multiple supported solutions, including an initramfs, a
25 use flag on busybox, and I believe somebody posted a script that can
26 be run during early boot to mount /usr. It sounds like the only thing
27 that isn't supported is "doing nothing" - but with Gentoo if you "do
28 nothing" you don't get an installed system that works on any
29 configuration.
32 > I feel a lot better about vapier's pragmatic approach then I do about
33 > udev/systemd upstream's ability and motivation to support current
34 > systems. If you had any doubts about whether udev was part of the
35 > problem, consider what tarball you will have to extract it from in future.
36
37 Well, if others feel differently about the direction udev is taking,
38 they can of course just fork it.
39
40 I can't say I'm terribly excited about the amount of vertical
41 integration going on. I don't run Gnome, and I don't run Unity. I
42 really do prefer the unix way.
43
44 However, I don't contribute much to those upstream projects, and I
45 don't see much value in telling a bunch of people who do that they are
46 doing it wrong. I don't like how Google develops Android in the dark,
47 or that they bundle 1GB of third-party stuff in their Chromium source
48 and distribute a favored binary-only derivative. However, I do like
49 that they're giving me all of that stuff essentially for free, and so
50 beyond the odd blog post I try not to give them too hard a time.
51
52 In the same way I think we need to give the maintainers of these
53 projects in Gentoo some slack, or join those projects and help them to
54 address your needs. It is a lot easier to tell others what to do than
55 to help make it happen, but a volunteer-based project like Gentoo
56 needs the latter more than the former.
57
58 Rich