From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 06:22:15
1 Il giorno mer, 06/10/2010 alle 21.45 -0700, Alec Warner ha scritto:
2 >
3 > Because of the above, adding a toggle to roll back the change seems
4 > like a reasonable request. If the idea is to add a remove_la_files
5 > type function to eutils then the toggle can be added in a centralized
6 > place. If this change goes horribly awry and breaks the distribution
7 > (or some subset of users) everyone has an easy revert (set some envvar
8 > and rebuild everything...)
9
10 Do note: I have nothing against using a single function to wrap around
11
12 find "${D}" -name '*.la' -delete
13
14 it works pretty nicely also to avoid removing them for the eventual
15 platforms needing them (that is, if Prefix is interested in keeping them
16 around for any platform at all).
17
18 What I am against is _exposing the functionality to users_ (i.e. an USE
19 flag), as that is just going to confuse them and give us more hadaches
20 than it's worth.
21
22 If I cannot vouch for the entirety of the software base out there, I'm
23 still pretty sure it's the right way to do it for one reason: I've spent
24 three years writing, talking, and trying the .la files removal. Plus the
25 time I spent trying to deal with them between Gentoo/FreeBSD and
26 xine-lib. And I compared notes with other distributions.
27
28 Okay so maybe I come out a bit too strong; on the other hand I do find
29 it tremendously off-putting that people who have a vague idea of how the
30 files are consumed get to tell me that they should be kept for the sake
31 of it (or all deleted for the sake of it as well).
34 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
35 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
36
37 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
38 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/