From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:34:00
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:00 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > A distribution is more than just an entity that packages upstream
3 > tarballs. I agree with your point, but it misses a large chunk of what
4 > we do.
5
6 We also have releases.
7
8 Another thing that we do is fix bugs, even in upstream packages, and
9 submit them to the upstream. In this regard, we are a valuable member
10 of the community as a whole. How many patches have come out of Gentoo
11 to fix bugs/vulnerabilities?
12
13 > If this is the Gentoo vision, then why are we even doing anything else?
14 > We've already reached our only goal, which is packaging stuff, and all
15 > we need to do is bump it.
16
17 I surely hope this isn't the vision, or I've been wasting an awful lot
18 of time.
19
20 > > Except ... even today, folks simply aren't empowered to vote on every
21 > > decision (other than by voting with their feet). Your hypothesis
22 > > seems to be based on a flawed model of how Gentoo works, I'm afraid.
23 >
24 > "Official" votes, sure. But what about GLEP discussions on -dev? That's
25 > the only way anything major ever happens, and it might as well be a
26 > requirement for a unanimous vote among all ~350 developers. The only
27 > time I can recall even a single dissenter before a GLEP moved on to the
28 > council was brix on Sunrise.
29
30 I was there, too. Of course, I also prove some of your points. I got
31 tired of giving the same arguments ad nauseum. I eventually gave up
32 fighting it to move on to other things. I will admit that many of my
33 concerns were resolved.
34
35 > > The basic cause always comes down to weak or non-existent management.
36 >
37 > Yes, and that's exactly my point. We need stronger management.
38
39 Indeed.
40
41 > >> All in all, the vocal minority has done a splendid job of becoming more
42 > >> influential, crippling Gentoo's ability to do anything at all about its
43 > >> members, their flames, their outstanding work at ruining people's fun
44 > >> and enjoyment of Gentoo, and their waste of everyone else's time.
45 > >
46 > > Can you back this up with three examples in the last twelve months
47 > > where this has happened?
48
49 Sunrise (twice)
50 Pretty much anything dealing with portage features (or lack thereof)
51
52 > Any long debate where more than 25% of the posts came from a single person.
53
54 I know that I've been a participant in at least one of these. I've also
55 noticed it an started to "dial back" my responses to try to stay more
56 on-topic and technical. Having a nice release helps to curb the free
57 time for replying to emails, too. ;]
58
59 > > Our problem is that we have a critical mass of groups who do not share
60 > > a culture to bind them together, and drive them to overcome their
61 > > differences.
62 >
63 > I'll agree with that.
64
65 As would I.
66
67 > I know this is partially changing, but I'm unsure that any group outside
68 > of the council will ever be trusted to suspend or kick people out.
69
70 I agree with this pretty strongly, if only because the council is an
71 elected group.
72
73 > > Folks don't vote on stuff. To pick a recent example, none of the
74 > > folks who opposed Sunrise actually had any means to vote to prevent it
75 > > happening. What they had to do was to lobby the council, who were the
76 > > only folks with a vote.
77 >
78 > Oh, gimme a break. Screaming about it on -dev for hundreds of posts
79 > isn't just equivalent to a vote, it's better. It makes people think
80 > there's more than 2 developers opposed to it.
81
82 Really? Even you didn't remember that *I* was opposed to Sunrise and
83 probably accounted for at least a good 50 responses. Yes, good came
84 from it. Yes, it could have been done much, much better.
85
86 > I'd rather get rid of devrel altogether (at least its conflict
87 > resolution role) and have the council deal with this.
88
89 Agreed.
90
91 > > I'm not standing for election, but maybe someone who is would be
92 > > interested in investigating some ideas Sejo discussed with me when he
93 > > left us. The summary is my own; hopefully I've captured Sejo's ideas
94 > > accurately.
95 > >
96 > > * Every staff member has to belong to a team. You join a team by
97 > > being voted onto the team by the other members of the team. They
98 > > don't vote you in, you can't join.
99
100 I don't think his ideas included anything explicit. Only more that the
101 team (or even just the lead) could give a thumbs down to you joining.
102
103 > > * If you're not part of any team, your rights and privileges as a
104 > > staff member are automatically terminated. There's no place to go to
105 > > appeal.
106
107 I think the intention was for the council to be the appellate body.
108
109 > > * You can be voted off the team at any time. The teams are self-managing.
110
111 I'm sure a vote wasn't necessary.
112
113 > The goal?
114
115 Hopefully, to streamline processes and give power back to individual
116 projects to govern themselves in internal matters and let people get
117 back to doing development. That's a goal I would love to see us strive
118 to achieve in the next year.
121 Chris Gianelloni
122 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
123 x86 Architecture Team
124 Games - Developer
125 Gentoo Linux