From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:04:52
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 8/24/06, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 >> When I think about where Gentoo was when we turned into a democracy
4 >> years ago, and where Gentoo is now, I don't see much of a difference on
5 >> the large scale. We lack any global vision for where Gentoo is going, we
6 >> can't agree on who our audience is, and everyone's just working on
7 >> pretty much whatever they feel like.
8 >
9 > We've had a global vision for where Gentoo is going from before I
10 > joined - Gentoo is here to create a source-based distribution where
11 > each package is as close to what $UPSTREAM intended it to be as
12 > possible. We're not trying to take $UPSTREAM packages and innovate
13 > with them - we're here to do a first class job of packaging them up.
14
15 A distribution is more than just an entity that packages upstream
16 tarballs. I agree with your point, but it misses a large chunk of what
17 we do.
18
19 If this is the Gentoo vision, then why are we even doing anything else?
20 We've already reached our only goal, which is packaging stuff, and all
21 we need to do is bump it.
22
23 People need to feel that Gentoo is _moving forward_, that it's actually
24 going somewhere.
25
26 > Scaling wasn't the only issue. There were too many topics -
27 > especially when it came to servers and web-related issues - that were
28 > just beyond Daniel's experience and understanding. You also left Kurt
29 > out as one of the lieutenants.
30
31 OK, sure, add Kurt to the list for the record. But that's not really
32 part of my point.
33
34 > That hierarchy was always flawed. Server-related matters never had a
35 > seat at the top table, and ended up being represented by the base
36 > systems manager. That actually turned out quite well for us, because
37 > folks simply left us alone to get on with things.
38
39 Then why wasn't the hierarchy fixed? Instead we somehow ended up in this
40 huge metastructure debate and changed everything around.
41
42 >> Democratic elections entered Gentoo when we realized that we needed to
43 >> create a new top-level project for all the desktop work, because it
44 >> didn't fit into any existing project. Since managers already voted
45 >> amongst themselves on GLEPs, it seemed like a natural extension for them
46 >> to vote on a new manager. The call for nominations is archived online.
47 >> I'd been a developer for around six months at this point, and by then I
48 >> was the lead X maintainer. Brandon Hale was active in maintaining window
49 >> managers and other miscellaneous applets and such. Turns out that the
50 >> vote tied, so we became co-managers.
51 >>
52 >> I didn't realize it at the time, but that was the beginning of a very
53 >> slippery slope.
54 >>
55 >> Gentoo used to be a courteous, friendly development community where
56 >> nobody was afraid to speak his mind for fear of insult and injury. I see
57 >> a clear correlation between the growth in democracy and the departure of
58 >> courtesy. Once people are empowered to vote on every decision, rather
59 >> than just having their discussion taken as input in a decision, they get
60 >> a lot more vehement, argumentative and forceful about getting their way.
61 >> _Flamewars and loud arguments going on for hundreds of posts have become
62 >> commonplace, despite the occasional outcry_.
63 >
64 > Except ... even today, folks simply aren't empowered to vote on every
65 > decision (other than by voting with their feet). Your hypothesis
66 > seems to be based on a flawed model of how Gentoo works, I'm afraid.
67
68 "Official" votes, sure. But what about GLEP discussions on -dev? That's
69 the only way anything major ever happens, and it might as well be a
70 requirement for a unanimous vote among all ~350 developers. The only
71 time I can recall even a single dissenter before a GLEP moved on to the
72 council was brix on Sunrise.
73
74 >> The vocal minority often gets its way, despite 99% of the other
75 >> developers being happy with any given situation.
76 >
77 > This is hardly a new phenomenon invented by Gentoo. You'll find
78 > tonnes about this under topics such as "growing pains", and also
79 > "management by ego".
80 >
81 > The basic cause always comes down to weak or non-existent management.
82
83 Yes, and that's exactly my point. We need stronger management.
84
85 >> Everyone treated it like a world of extremes of
86 >> good and evil, where democracy is absolutely good and purity, and
87 >> anything other than that is evil. This added bureaucracy has essentially
88 >> rendered this side of devrel powerless, meaningless and useless.
89 >
90 > I'm not sure how you can justify that statement. To the best of my
91 > knowledge, that system has only been tested in full the once - when
92 > Brian was suspended from the project and Ciaran was expelled.
93
94 That in itself is proof enough. There were numerous instances where it
95 _should_ have been tested but wasn't, because of all the hassle required
96 to do anything.
97
98 >> All in all, the vocal minority has done a splendid job of becoming more
99 >> influential, crippling Gentoo's ability to do anything at all about its
100 >> members, their flames, their outstanding work at ruining people's fun
101 >> and enjoyment of Gentoo, and their waste of everyone else's time.
102 >
103 > Can you back this up with three examples in the last twelve months
104 > where this has happened?
105
106 Any long debate where more than 25% of the posts came from a single person.
107
108 > Our problem is that we have a critical mass of groups who do not share
109 > a culture to bind them together, and drive them to overcome their
110 > differences.
111
112 I'll agree with that.
113
114 >> But what about Gentoo? We don't have any overriding principles like this
115 >> from which all of the standards for behavior derive. Instead, we have a
116 >> large document explaining specifically and in detail what's allowed and
117 >> what isn't, and even that is ignored. Because of the bureaucracy and the
118 >> lack of respect for devrel's role, we're effectively powerless to do
119 >> anything when people behave in a way for which the FreeBSD project's
120 >> leadership would kick them to the curb.
121 >
122 > Hrm. Where is this lack of respect for devrel being displayed today?
123 > What forms does this lack of respect take? If there's a lack of
124 > respect at the moment, it's not for devrel.
125
126 How about in Gentoo's complete inability to do anything about the
127 constant trolling and people acting like assholes? We say we're about
128 courtesy but we don't (can't?) do a damn thing about it, because it
129 requires a huge, convoluted investigation and trial and nobody's willing
130 to waste that much time.
131
132 I know this is partially changing, but I'm unsure that any group outside
133 of the council will ever be trusted to suspend or kick people out.
134
135 > A good way to sort that out is to get them together in the physical
136 > world, and use group de-polarisation exercises to help folks
137 > understand that their view of the world isn't the only view that is
138 > valid. This is why I'm hoping to see Gentoo establish a regular
139 > international dev conference. You'll find that the vast majority of
140 > issues won't arise once folks actually know each other better - and
141 > the personality clashes that are left are easier to see for what they
142 > are.
143
144 Some Debian developers commented on my blog about how valuable DebConf
145 was for this.
146
147 > I'd also argue that we're _not_ powerless. It wasn't pleasant, but
148 > the old system has shown that we can deal with genuine trouble makers.
149
150 Barely, and with enormous effort ...
151
152 >> I'm not the only one to suggest that a democracy isn't the most
153 >> productive way to run Gentoo. When people wanted to change in how Gentoo
154 >> was run, democracy was the only option considered, rather than simply
155 >> changing the leaders. There's an ongoing assumption that if problems
156 >> exist, it must be somewhere in the structure rather than in the people.
157 >
158 > We don't have a democracy. Gentoo is largely a workocracy (there must
159 > be a better word for it ;), where the vast majority decisions are made
160 > by the folks who actually do the work.
161
162 Only the small-scale decisions.
163
164 > Folks don't vote on stuff. To pick a recent example, none of the
165 > folks who opposed Sunrise actually had any means to vote to prevent it
166 > happening. What they had to do was to lobby the council, who were the
167 > only folks with a vote.
168
169 Oh, gimme a break. Screaming about it on -dev for hundreds of posts
170 isn't just equivalent to a vote, it's better. It makes people think
171 there's more than 2 developers opposed to it.
172
173 > If we had actually tried a democracy (something I'm instinctively
174 > against, but rationally am becoming more and more interested in), your
175 > arguments would maybe carry some weight. But, the clear fact of the
176 > matter is that we haven't - and that leaves your arguments built on
177 > sand.
178
179 Untrue, voices make a democracy.
180
181 > I'm naturally suspicious of anyone who seeks office on a platform of
182 > talking about the need to beef up the powers of an unelected body (ie
183 > devrel)
184
185 I'd rather get rid of devrel altogether (at least its conflict
186 resolution role) and have the council deal with this.
187
188 You say "unelected" like it's evil. In a company, nobody gets elected,
189 but a hell of a lot of work happens.
190
191 > You've just lost my vote.
192
193 What vote? I'm not running for anything, and I have no desire to do so.
194 I'm just trying to get people interested in fixing Gentoo so it's not
195 stuck in the mud.
196
197 > I'm not standing for election, but maybe someone who is would be
198 > interested in investigating some ideas Sejo discussed with me when he
199 > left us. The summary is my own; hopefully I've captured Sejo's ideas
200 > accurately.
201 >
202 > * Every staff member has to belong to a team. You join a team by
203 > being voted onto the team by the other members of the team. They
204 > don't vote you in, you can't join.
205 > * If you're not part of any team, your rights and privileges as a
206 > staff member are automatically terminated. There's no place to go to
207 > appeal.
208 > * You can be voted off the team at any time. The teams are self-managing.
209
210 The goal?
211
212 Thanks,