From: Anthony de Boer <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cleaning out 'bc' and 'ed' from system
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:45:48
1 Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > when was the last time you used ed? it is a completely useless editor,
3 > peeps use vim instead.
4
5 I use "vi", not "vim", though of course the former is a symlink to the
6 latter on Linux systems for the last number of years.
7
8 Last time I used ed was on an RH system with a broken /usr mount; vi
9 was on that partition, but ed lived in /bin, so I used it to fix
10 /etc/fstab. Using ed is like riding a bicycle; you remember pretty
11 quickly how to use it. But then, I've been using Unix since halfway
12 back to the Epoch.
13
14 > anyway, who says you cannot install ed if you want it so bad?
15
16 I don't think Larry The Cow wants some group of people deciding that
17 all Gentoo users have to get exactly a certain set of tools. The
18 embedded folk have everything they need if it boots at all, prettymuch.
19 I'd want to have all the traditional Unix stuff available as a baseline,
20 while someone coming to Linux for the first time in 2005 might never
21 want to bother with some of the tools of that older generation.
22
23 Possibly there should be a "tradunix" ebuild that pulls in all the
24 traditional Unix stuff as dependencies (and is otherwise empty), and
25 similarly for other sets of things people hold dear, just to act as
26 macros when you're setting up a system.
27
28 The baseline should be as barebones as possible. Offering a set of
29 things useful to the new user is a useful default, but should be only
30 that, not a set of things you have to accept if you want to pick and
31 choose stuff yourself.
34 Anthony de Boer
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list