From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:12:06
1 We seem to be heading towards a situation where the x86 arch
2 team do all marking of stuff stable on x86. This I like.
3 Some observations - these may be phrased in the affirmative
4 but please take them as observations/suggestions :)
5
6 1) The x86 arch team will need to be large(ish) to keep pace.
7 Herds could nominate one of their members to join the
8 team; that'd get a fair amount of tree coverage quickly.
9
10 2) The job of the x86 arch team members should be to arrange,
11 collect and collate testing results, not to do the actual
12 testing themselves. Note this means being a member of the
13 x86 arch team is a management role rather than a development
14 or test role.
15
16 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
17 responsible. I'd suggest not putting _any_ rules about
18 timeliness in tihs case - if people want a package to
19 go stable more quickly, then they need to do somthing
20 about it; either become an x86 arch team member (in the
21 case of a Dev who wants control) or do some arch testing
22 (in the case of a user, or a dev who just wants up push
23 things along).
24
25 4) It'll need a pool of arch testers - this is a great
26 opportunity to include some regular users directly in
27 Gentoo. Some kind of recognition system needs to be
28 in place - I'm thinking of peer qudos type stuff, for
29 example listing arch testers responsible for a package
30 being marked stable against that package somewhere; perhaps
31 the online package database, or perhaps on a credits
32 page on the main web site. We shouldn't underestimate
33 the value of testing work - it may not be as technically
34 involved as actual dev work, but it's a big (boring!) job
35 with high value if done right.
36
37 5) Releng's job will be a lot easier as stable x86 will
38 become much more stable...
39
40 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
41 take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
42 arch testers are regular users without commit access to
43 CVS etc. A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
44 testers know what is expected of them would lower the
45 bar and should encourage more users to join in. Using
46 the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
47 devs in their own right...
48
49 7) (6) aside, take as many cues as possible from the amd64
50 team who've been at this for a while!
51
52 Kev.
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list