From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Marking GPL-incompatible linkage?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:26:07
1 Trying to cleanup the faad/faac situation, I ended up thinking about a little
2 situation with Amarok.
3
4 Right now the aac useflag enable support for MP4v2 tags writing through
5 libmp4v2; the problem is that the library is licensed under MPL, while Amarok
6 is licensed under GPL, and they are likely not compatible one to the other,
7 which means it's impossible to redistribute binaries built this way.
8
9 I wonder if with ACCEPT_LICENSES it would be possible to get a way to
10 represent this issue, like a "unredistributable" fake license, disabled
11 during GRP building for instance, so that the packages needing that license
12 wouldn't be built in binary form and redistributed by us.
13
14 Any proposal on this issue?
15
16 Besides, we should really start caring about the GPL-2 or GPL-2+ license.. but
17 that's going to be another mail.
20 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
21 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...