From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:14:04
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 18/07/12 03:47 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
6 >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés
7 >> <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
9 >>> wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>> The real benefit is that it allows you to mount any partition, if
12 >>> the tools to mount it live in the same partition.
13 >>
14 >> Certainly that's a benefit.
17 > ...don't you mean, "if the tools to mount it live in the initramfs" ??
18 >
19 > if the partition isn't mounted I don't see how the initramfs will
20 > allow you to mount it using its own tools...
21
22 I think you're replying to Canek. I took it to mean that having an
23 initramfs allows you to mount the very filesystems where you would
24 _traditionally_ expect to find the tools. E.g., being able to mount an
25 encrypted /.
28 :wq