From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:37:59
1 Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> posted
2 200903101315.52142.bangert@g.o, excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Mar
3 2009 13:15:36 +0100:
4
5 > the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
6 > IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize
7 > more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
8
9 This has bothered me too. Some people simply don't do well in
10 "immediate" (textual) communication mode. They much prefer the minute-
11 resolution mode of email/web-form/newsgroup to the second-resolution mode
12 of IRC/IM. I'm one such person.[1] As a result, I have experienced a
13 high barrier to getting further involved with Gentoo, toward becoming an
14 AT or dev.
15
16 That may be simply the way things must be (after all, to take an extreme
17 example, who could reasonably argue that snail mail contributions could
18 even work at all for more than the one-off, for something like Gentoo),
19 but I can't say I see it that way. Even in instances where the second-
20 resolution of IRC really does work better, say meetings, a mixed-mode
21 approach much as the council has recently taken, with most of the
22 discussion via minute/hour resolution mailing list leaving the official
23 IRC meetings as ideally little more than formalizing the vote, arguably
24 works far better.
25
26 ---
27 [1] I like to be able to type up my message, look at it, revise a bit
28 where necessary, then send, on second-resolution media such as IRC/IM,
29 that's hardly possible as it looks like "dead air" from the other end
30 when there's 2-3 participants and the discussion has usually long moved
31 on by the time the submission is ready, in larger groups.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman