From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:02:30
1 On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If it's not too late for this month's meeting, I'd like to discuss
4 > the possibility of including a new "post" in our developer base -
5 > the package maintainer.
8 The idea is interesting. We have been thinking about something similar
9 in the sci team. We are already maintaining some packages we don't know
10 how to test. We also don't particularly like the idea of getting
11 scientific results based on untested software.
12
13 The overlays are not a solution. Packages in the overlays do not
14 go through keywording or stabilisation processes, do not get all the
15 publicity, and don't have bug support as advanced as the ones in the
16 main tree.
17
18 In all the sci* herds, we have more than 180 requests for new
19 packages only in bugzilla. Our active team is small and overloaded with
20 already more than 430 packages to maintain. Many other teams are facing
21 the same issue. We have contacted some talented ebuild submitters who
22 neither want to spend the time nor feel the responsibility of a full
23 dev. A formal proxy-maintainer could really help in our sometimes blind
24 maintaining duties.
27 Sébastien