From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: adding support for running eautoconf to base.eclass
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:19:40
1 On 13-02-2008 08:50:19 +0100, Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty a écrit :
3 >> What do you think about adding support to base.eclass for running
4 >> eautoreconf?
5
6 > In most of the ebuilds where we need to run eautoreconf, we usually apply
7 > patches. I can't remember of an ebuild where we just run eautoreconf on its
8 > own.
9
10 +1
11 If you need to run eautoreconf without adding patches, it may be worth
12 adding a comment explaining why.
13
14 > In the end, that won't help us at all (which is no reason not to have this
15 > :) ) but I'm afraid that adding options for semi-hidden stuff can come and
16 > bite us later, as we add more and more of those.
17
18 I think it should not be added as it hides something quite important.
19 - it takes a lot of time on most platforms I run
20 - it may break (especially during bootstrapping, eautoreconfs are hell)
21 - it may introduce extra deps/caution (e.g. gettext macros being available)
22
23 So I'd prefer to keep it quite clear that this is happening, instead of
24 hiding it somewhere in an obscure corner of the ebuild.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list