From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:55:34
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 8:27 pm, Michael Marineau wrote:
2
3 > ~From the looks of the thread so far people seem to be leaning toward
4 > implimenting this system via profiles rather than the suggested new
5 > keyword system in the GLEP.
6
7 Hopefully nobody is leaning towards anything yet; myself I want all the
8 options out on the table, so we can talk about it. If anything we might
9 be eliminating ideas that paint us into a corner, or ones we can't
10 reasonably execute sometime in the next 6-12 months.
11
12 > 1. Users dealing with profiles would need to be able to be easily
13 > change, and review the possible profiles via a nice interface so that
14 > when that quartly switch comes, it isn't to hard to understand what is
15 > going on.
16
17 Interface? It wouldn't differ from how upgrades are currently performed.
18
19 - Change your profile to a newer one
20 - emerge -pv system
21 - emerge -pv world
22 - modify make.conf, /etc/portage/* to taste
23 - and so on
24
25 > 2. This will require a bit of a paradigm shift in users. At the moment
26 > it seems ~ (in the eyes of a normal user) like profiles are something in
27 > the background of the system, but no one other than gentoo devs need
28 > know what they are or how to use them. This is just my impression.
29
30 Release numbers basically correspond to profiles. So most people
31 understand this, at that level. Profiles as they are used right now are
32 inclusion masks, but do not address the functionality I'm/we're proposing
33 in this thread.
34
35 > 3. If a profile defines a specific set of packages that should not be
36 > upgraded how are the possible security upgrades handled? If the profile
37 > defines package versions then the profile would need to be modified.
38 > From my understanding a stable profile normally should not be modified,
39 > but maybe this will change?
40
41 Depends on how the package is versioned in the profile. E.g. if you have
42 glibc-2.3.2-r2 installed, and your profile has:
43
44 =sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2
45
46 You will get glibc-2.3.2-r3 and any other updates, but not 2.3.3 or later.
47 If, for whatever reason, that release needs to be updated to 2.3.3, the
48 profile will need to be changed. Which is not an issue if there's a valid
49 reason why it needs to be done.
50
51 Cheers,
52 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]