From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:39:28
1 On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 02:10 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 08 February 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > He's not "screwing up" anything. He's making changes he wishes as the
4 > > author and maintainer of the package. If someone doesn't like it, they
5 > > can fork it and maintain their own package. Isn't that just wonderful?
6 > > Seriously, Roy can work on whatever he wants how he wants, just like any
7 > > of the rest of us. Anyone who doesn't like it can simply fork the
8 > > project, or even create a new project to replace the functionality
9 > > provided by this package. It happens all the time. I seem to remember
10 > > it happening with this package manager we all are familiar with...
11 >
12 > that really isnt a valid stance to take with the package in question ... by
13 > this logic, i can turn around and screw with the toolchain and if no one
14 > likes what i'm doing, then that's their problem and they can go fork
15 > themselves
16
17 No. It fully applies. Notice I responded to him talking about
18 "baselayout-ng", which was after he'd already decided to leave the
19 current baselayout alone. So yes, he is completely free to do with it
20 as he wishes. If we don't like it, we just stick with the "old"
21 baselayout.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
26 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
27 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
28 Gentoo Foundation