From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Useless USE descriptions...
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:56:17
1 On Feb 6, 2004, at 7:14 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 >
3 > One other thing to this respect. What do you (multiple) think about
4 > allowing
5 > the description of the useflags in the metadata.xml file? (or in the
6 > ebuild
7 > itself) That would allow specification of what the consequenses are for
8 > choosing that flag for this ebuild.
9
10 Mmmmm... I *like* that. It's be really nice to `emerge -pvv someapp`
11 and see exactly what each USE flag does, relevant to the ebuild that's
12 depending on it. Y'know like "+gtk " builds GUI as well as default
13 console app" would be perfect.
14
15 There's a little bit of me that's saying "But that might encourage
16 diversion in the use of USE flags for different ebuilds", but I suspect
17 that may be happening already.
18
19 I don't recall enough of the discussion of the -vim-with-x USE flag...
20 I seem to have an idea that (with the same USE flag) some ebuilds will
21 pull in extra dependencies and others will only change the `make`
22 options without pulling any other packages. Is this the case..? I don't
23 really think that necessarily needs separate kinds of USE flags, but it
24 would help if one could see the difference at a glance.
25
26 Stroller.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list