From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:17:48
1 On 07/10/2017 10:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:49:40 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> In the case of amd64 we already
7 >>> encourage individual package maintainers to stabilize their own
8 >>> packages
9 >>
10 >> Huh? Have our rules changed? As per devmanual[1] and GLEP 40[2]
11 >> stabilization must be carried out by arch teams, unless a special
12 >> arrangement is done between a developer and a team.
15 > The docs are probably out of date - I'm not sure if the policy is
16 > documented anywhere. However it has been a fairly longstanding policy
17 > at this point that amd64 allows individual maintainers to stabilize
18 > their own packages.
21 We looked after it for wg-stable (which died out as a result of rather
22 low participation, maybe it should be rebooted if people feel like
23 discussing this again), there isn't any authoritative policy allowing
24 it, GLEP:40 explicitly removes the possibility to do it for x86. That
25 said, for a number of packages maintainer stabilization can likely make
26 sense, the opposite view is four-eyes principle, it is always good to
27 have someone else build-test etc, but this is greatly helped by
28 tinderboxing efforts (thanks toralf) etc. So one likely output if
29 wg-stable is to come up with something would be a replacement GLEP for
30 40 that matches the current state, and also kernel auto-stabiliation (as
31 discussed in [section 3.2 (Kernel)]
32
33 References:
34 [section 3.2 (Kernel)]
35 https://download.sumptuouscapital.com/gentoo/wg-stable/main.pdf
38 Kristian Fiskerstrand
39 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
40 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3