From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for May
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 07:14:32
1 On Wed, 2 May 2007 22:00:05 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
3 > What, people deliberately breaking policy that directly leads to
4 > breaking stable and not having any working ebuilds for a package in
5 > the tree, and then refusing to do anything about it is nothing?
6 >
7 > > the issue has been taken care of
8 >
9 > You have a conflict of interest in this one. What do other Council
10 > members who aren't games team members think?
11 >
12 > > [to the detriment of users]
13 >
14 > How is not having broken packages committed straight to stable
15 > detrimental to users?
16
17 I maintain and play a game called Eternal Lands. I'm a Council member,
18 but not part of the games team/herd.
19
20 One of the problems games have with stable/unstable/testing/whatever
21 keywords is that upstream changes things that in any other application
22 just would not change. For example, the network protocol when talking
23 to servers. EL is very version specific and when a new client is
24 launched, around once every 6 months they change over right away. That
25 means our users need the game right away.
26
27 I used to commit EL straight to stable for this very reason, but now
28 after a few Gentoo QA people bitched EL will never ever have a stable
29 keyword. So instead I periodically have to let our users know how to
30 unmask EL just so they can play their game.
31
32 So no, in many cases NOT committing straight to stable CAN be
33 detrimental to our users if all they want is a games machine. You could
34 argue that they shouldn't be using Gentoo, but I would argue why should
35 we discriminate?
36
37 Thanks
38
39 Roy
40
41 DISCLAIMER: I've not read the bug mentioned as I've lost the email
42 with it's number so I may just be talking out of my ass.
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list