From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:01:55
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 13:28 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > The point is that following the proper steps, one *can* get the exact
3 > > same output. This would include using --newuse and cleaning out unused
4 > > packages, along with any other maintenance items that would be required.
5 >
6 > That's fine with me. All I really want to do is ensure that we preserve
7 > our users' ability to tinker with system without making life too painful
8 > for them. Starting from a stage 1 it was obvious how to do such
9 > tinkering. I would argue that it's not quite as obvious how to do that
10 > when starting from a stage 3, so a bit of additional documentation on
11 > how to do that would be nice. If that were done, then I would have no
12 > complaints about the stage 1 and stage 2 tarballs going away altogether.
13
14 That's kinda what I am shooting for down the line.
15
16 The idea was to move out the stage1/stage2 docs to somewhere else. Then
17 create some sort of "Advanced Installation Topics" guide or something,
18 to list out the replacement procedures for customizing a system from a
19 stage3 tarball, then, eventually, drop the stage1 and stage2 tarballs.
20 I was working on the idea of doing it all in stages. The "problem"
21 occurred from people freaking out because they didn't bother reading the
22 entire news blurb that tells exactly where the instructions moved to,
23 plus links to the bug # and discussion. There's also this nice section
24 in the Handbook.
25
26 "A stage3 tarball is an archive containing a minimal Gentoo environment,
27 suitable to continue the Gentoo installation using the instructions in
28 this manual. Previously, the Gentoo Handbook described the installation
29 using one of three stage tarballs. While Gentoo still offers stage1 and
30 stage2 tarballs, the official installation method uses the stage3
31 tarball. If you are interested in performing a Gentoo installation using
32 a stage1 or stage2 tarball, please read the Gentoo FAQ on How do I
33 Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?"
34
35 Really, everybody is just up in arms over a knee-jerk reaction to not
36 reading carefully. What it boils down to is either not knowing the
37 facts, or trolling/flaming.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
42 x86 Architecture Team