From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:32:21
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Tue Nov 22 2005, 01:06:03PM CST]
2 > Who said that removing something isn't a part of the procedure to get an
3 > identical build?
4
5 Yeah, my phrasing was lousy (which I noted in another e-mail, but I
6 doubt you had time to see it before replying to this one).
7 >
8 > The point is that following the proper steps, one *can* get the exact
9 > same output. This would include using --newuse and cleaning out unused
10 > packages, along with any other maintenance items that would be required.
11
12 That's fine with me. All I really want to do is ensure that we preserve
13 our users' ability to tinker with system without making life too painful
14 for them. Starting from a stage 1 it was obvious how to do such
15 tinkering. I would argue that it's not quite as obvious how to do that
16 when starting from a stage 3, so a bit of additional documentation on
17 how to do that would be nice. If that were done, then I would have no
18 complaints about the stage 1 and stage 2 tarballs going away altogether.
19 *Shrug*
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76