From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:21:59
1 22.11.2005, 20:57:15, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > The idea was to move out the stage1/stage2 docs to somewhere else. Then
4 > create some sort of "Advanced Installation Topics" guide or something, to
5 > list out the replacement procedures for customizing a system from a stage3
6 > tarball, then, eventually, drop the stage1 and stage2 tarballs.
7
8 Erm, did you read what solar wrote about hardened stages and why should stage1
9 still stay?
10
11 > I was working on the idea of doing it all in stages. The "problem" occurred
12 > from people freaking out because they didn't bother reading the entire news
13 > blurb that tells exactly where the instructions moved to, plus links to the
14 > bug # and discussion. There's also this nice section in the Handbook.
15
16 > "A stage3 tarball is an archive containing a minimal Gentoo environment,
17 > suitable to continue the Gentoo installation using the instructions in
18 > this manual. Previously, the Gentoo Handbook described the installation
19 > using one of three stage tarballs. While Gentoo still offers stage1 and
20 > stage2 tarballs, the official installation method uses the stage3
21 > tarball. If you are interested in performing a Gentoo installation using
22 > a stage1 or stage2 tarball, please read the Gentoo FAQ on How do I
23 > Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?"
24
25 That FAQ section has nothing in common with the original stage1 docs. Sorry,
26 installing stage3 to remove all the use flags cruft subsequently, bootstrap and
27 re-emerge the system and then ponder which packages are not needed any more
28 (again, there's no reliable tool to remove unneeded stuff from system, I've
29 already mentioned this once) - hmmm... :/
30
31 And - once stages 1+2 are removed (as you are suggesting above), then I'll
32 install the system only to build my own stage1 w/ catalyst, then reformat and
33 start over with my own stage? Ah, that makes live sooo much easier ;p
36 > Really, everybody is just up in arms over a knee-jerk reaction to not
37 > reading carefully. What it boils down to is either not knowing the
38 > facts, or trolling/flaming.
39
40 Why exactly is evaporating stage1 an ultimate goal here (as it seems to me?).
41 So don't support it, but why it should not exist?
46 jakub