From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember: workarounds don't warrant RESO FIXED!
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:34:30
1 On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:24:34 +0100
2 flameeyes@×××××.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:
3
4 > Guys, please remember that if you work something around, you should
5 > _not_ close the bug as RESO FIXED but keep the bug open so that the
6 > issue can be addressed and fixed _properly_. Otherwise we'll end up
7 > with ebuilds full of workarounds without even documentation on why the
8 > workaround is applied!
9 >
10 > With workarounds I mean, as examples:
11
12 ********************************
13 * *
14 * *
15 > - FEATURES=test failures;
16 * *
17 * *
18 ********************************
19
20 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
21
22 The next person who closes testsuite failures as invalid or upstream
23 gets to meet my frozen boot. If a test fails, fix it. If it fails
24 because of portage or Gentoo-specific reasons that can't be fixed then
25 RESTRICT it.
26
27 Everybody is crowing about making src_test enabled by default, yet I
28 still had 2 out of 3 build failures on my last tinderbox adventure
29 caused by known, reported, and unfixed testsuite problems.
30
31 > - broken parallel make that requires -j1;
32 > - flags filtering, included -Wl,--no-as-needed appending
33 >
34 > This is important because:
35 >
36 > a) we want test to work or get fixed upstream;
37 > b) we want users to get parallel build if they request parallel build;
38 > c) we want --as-needed to be used, not ignored.
39 >
40 > If the bug is open and comes out on searches and all the rest, then we
41 > have higher chances that someone might _fix_ it, without having to
42 > look to see if there actually is one...
43 >
44 > Thanks!
50 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
51 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
52 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662