From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:36:38
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
3 >> The maintainer should be the absolute authority over his/her packages,
4 >> and only the council should be able to overrule maintainer decisions in
5 >> the case of disagreement between the maintainer and anybody else.
6 >
7 > I think it really depends on the situation, but in general I disagree
8 > that something should be left in a state that the QA team finds
9 > questionable/broken. It should be a very rare occurence that this comes
10 > up, since we don't really want to override what the maintainer says, but
11 > I think the QA team should have this right in extreme circumstances.
12
13 So if QA thinks one way is right, and the package maintainer thinks
14 another way is right, you say QA always trumps?
15
16 I'm looking at this as "innocent until proven guilty" versus "guilty
17 until proven innocent." When parties are in disagreement, the _current_
18 situation should stand until the council (or the two groups in question)
19 resolves it. That assumes lack of extenuating circumstances such as
20 security vulnerabilities or major tree breakage.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie