From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:15:53
1 On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 19:34 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
4 > >> The maintainer should be the absolute authority over his/her packages,
5 > >> and only the council should be able to overrule maintainer decisions in
6 > >> the case of disagreement between the maintainer and anybody else.
7 > >
8 > > I think it really depends on the situation, but in general I disagree
9 > > that something should be left in a state that the QA team finds
10 > > questionable/broken. It should be a very rare occurence that this comes
11 > > up, since we don't really want to override what the maintainer says, but
12 > > I think the QA team should have this right in extreme circumstances.
13 >
14 > So if QA thinks one way is right, and the package maintainer thinks
15 > another way is right, you say QA always trumps?
16 >
17 > I'm looking at this as "innocent until proven guilty" versus "guilty
18 > until proven innocent." When parties are in disagreement, the _current_
19 > situation should stand until the council (or the two groups in question)
20 > resolves it. That assumes lack of extenuating circumstances such as
21 > security vulnerabilities or major tree breakage.
22
23 The devs asked for a council. A council was elected. The council decided
24 that QA trumps devs. If anybody has a problem with that they are free to
25 object at the next council meeting.
26 --
27 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
28 Gentoo Linux