From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Tools to help QA
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:48:58
1 Hiya,
2
3 Post net-www breakup, I'm going to put some time into writing some tools to
4 help me keep an eye on what goes on in the new www-* categories. I'm
5 interested in hearing from other devs as to what useful tools we need.
6
7 Mr_Bones_, this is your chance to have the work you do made a little easier,
8 so don't be shy ;-)
9
10 Volunteers to help code them up would ofc be very much appreciated too ;-)
11
12 Technical constraints that I'm working to are:
13
14 a) the tools should be written in bash or python
15 b) the tools should run from the command-line
16
17 To kick off the discussion ...
18
19 My motivation is that net-www became quite the dumping ground of packages that
20 were abandoned over time, or worse still were added without working with the
21 relevant herd. Trying to spot these things by hand is both silly and futile;
22 automation is the only way to cope with how large Gentoo has become.
23
24 I'm interested in writing tools to check that packages have metadata.xml, that
25 the metadata lists the 'right' herd, lists a primary maintainer, and that the
26 primary maintainer is still a valid Gentoo developer.
27
28 I'm also interested in tools that check that the HOMEPAGE of a package is
29 valid, that report on how many bugs are open against a specific package or
30 set of packages, and that report on which packages in a given category have
31 changed since a given date.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Stu
35 --
36 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
37 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
38 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
39
40 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
41 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C