From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rdalek1967@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:03:10
1 On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:56:11 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:14:52 +0100
6 > > Enrico Weigelt<weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> * Micha?? Górny<mgorny@g.o> schrieb:
9 > >>
10 > >>> Does working hard involve compiling even more packages statically?
11 > >> I guess, he means keeping udev in / ?
12 > > Because adding 80 KiB of initramfs hurts so much? We should then put
13 > > more work just to ensure that admin doesn't have to waste 15
14 > > minutes to recompile the kernel (if necessary), create an initramfs
15 > > and add it to bootloader config?
19 > Took me days to get dracut to work. Where does 15 minutes come
20 > from?
21
22 I just took the time I needed to write an initramfs from scratch
23 and divided it by two, assuming using an already-made tool is simpler.
24
25 > How much time does it take when the initramfs fails?
26
27 The same when rootfs fails? Only the fact that initramfs is less likely
28 to break than rootfs, and you have a pretty good opportunity now to
29 experiment with it while nothing on your system made it useless without
30 one.
31
32 > I keep hoping that all the smart people involved in this will see the
33 > mess it is creating. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm
34 > sharp enough to see the mess this is going to create and I'm just a
35 > desktop user. I feel sorry for people with more complicated systems
36 > or remote ones.
37
38 The mess was created by people shouting 'hey, real men use
39 separate /usr for no good reason! Be awesome like us'.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny