From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:41:02
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:56:11 -0600
3 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michał Górny wrote:
6 >>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:14:52 +0100
7 >>> Enrico Weigelt<weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> * Micha?? Górny<mgorny@g.o> schrieb:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>> Does working hard involve compiling even more packages statically?
12 >>>> I guess, he means keeping udev in / ?
13 >>> Because adding 80 KiB of initramfs hurts so much? We should then put
14 >>> more work just to ensure that admin doesn't have to waste 15
15 >>> minutes to recompile the kernel (if necessary), create an initramfs
16 >>> and add it to bootloader config?
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> Took me days to get dracut to work. Where does 15 minutes come
20 >> from?
21 > I just took the time I needed to write an initramfs from scratch
22 > and divided it by two, assuming using an already-made tool is simpler.
23
24 Wish it was like that for me. I never got one made from scratch to work.
27 >> How much time does it take when the initramfs fails?
28 > The same when rootfs fails? Only the fact that initramfs is less likely
29 > to break than rootfs, and you have a pretty good opportunity now to
30 > experiment with it while nothing on your system made it useless without
31 > one.
32
33 Funny, I never had the rootfs fail before. I have had init thingys fail
34 many many times. They lead to a reinstall since I had no idea how to
35 fix it.
39 >> I keep hoping that all the smart people involved in this will see the
40 >> mess it is creating. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm
41 >> sharp enough to see the mess this is going to create and I'm just a
42 >> desktop user. I feel sorry for people with more complicated systems
43 >> or remote ones.
44 > The mess was created by people shouting 'hey, real men use
45 > separate /usr for no good reason! Be awesome like us'.
48 I think it is more like people do that when they have a good reason to
49 do so. I plan to put mine on /usr when I get the chance and know that
50 this init crap isn't going to break my rig. It's not being "awesome"
51 either.
52
53 Dale
54
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
59
60 Miss the compile output? Hint:
61 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"