From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o, mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:53:50
1 On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:40:04AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 10 Aug 2019, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > > I propose using a colon like we do in /etc/passwd:
5 >
6 > > root:0:0:baselayout:
7 > > bin:1:1:baselayout:some notes go here
8 >
9 > Please no. I thought the purpose of this exercise was to have a format
10 > that is human readable, and not something with strange separators like
11 > ":" or "|" (as we have in the wiki)?
12 >
13 > There cannot be any whitespace in name, IDs, or provider.
14 > So what would be the problem with using whitespace as separators?
15
16 Well, I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if we don't care about
17 alignment, but that is not readable either really right?
18
19 For example, (completely making up uid/gid numbers), this is totally
20 valid.
21
22 root 0 0 baselayout this is from baselayout
23 bin 1 1 baselayout this is from baselayout
24 postgresql 150 150 app this is from postgresql
25 cockroach 250 250 app this is from cockroach
26
27 William