From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 20:30:48
1 On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 02/01/15 02:57 PM, Mike Pagano wrote:
6 >>
7 >> I understand your point. Maybe waiting a few days to auto stable
8 >> makes sense, because less than 7 days later, a new version with
9 >> bug/security fixes is released.
10 >>
11 >> Isn't our current rate of stabilization "selling" a promise of
12 >> stability we can't stand behind?
13 >>
14 >> Mike
17 > Well to be perfectly honest, the current-stable 3.16 and 3.17 kernels
18 > for me at least have some rather unfortunate regressions over 3.15 and
19 > previous, so even with the stabilization we're achieving now I don't
20 > think we're living up to our "promise of stability" :)
23 As a btrfs user I went through quite a bit of pain in the whole
24 3.15-17 series, but I that probably isn't a typical mainstream user
25 experience. This sort of thing was why I did suggest targeting
26 longterm. When the next longterm is announced then we could
27 transition to it at our leisure (ie with plenty of testing while
28 following point releases quickly on the previous longterm).
29
30 So, moving between longterm branches would have a more typical Gentoo
31 QA process. However, between point releases within a branch we would
32 auto-stable releases, since it is unlikely that our own QA process is
33 going to add any real value beyond what upstream already does.
34
35 We also need to keep in mind just what our "promise of stability" even
36 means. We're not a release-based distro, and we're NEVER going to
37 offer an experience like RHEL or Debian Stable where the entirety of
38 the package base is pinned and tested and we only do security
39 backports. The kernel stable branches probably represent a lot more
40 stability than we have almost anywhere else in the distro anyway.
43 Rich