From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A better FTP client with Gentoo enhancements
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:44:30
1 Philippe Namias wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thursday 22 March 2001 16:44, you wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 09:23:14AM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote:
5 > > > Ouch... Wget is very lightweight and does an excellent job of what it is
6 > > > used for. It is small and simple, and easy to understand. Why fix what
7 > > > isn't broken, anyway?
8 > >
9 > > I think it would be a good idea to use the same ftp program as FreeBSD,
10 > > because their ftp program is great, and it will be another nice thing for
11 > > FreeBSD users who need to use Linux. It'll make them feel at home. Also,
12 > > the wget output *is* quite ugly.
13 >
14 > The ftp program considering the fecth function as been quite a discussion for
15 > a long time along FreeBSD developper and i think they still want to change it
16 > as there are some bug in it (i will try to find out more on mailing list).
17 > OpenBSD used a different way so...
18 > Why i disklike using this ftp or wget is the totally absence of
19 > "intellingence of them". I remember spendig more time downloading stuff under
20 > FreeBSD than compiling (when leaving fetch do stuff alone).
21 > That why for my part i recommend Prozilla (Achim wrote an e-mail about this
22 > one).
23 > This one is really forward (multiple donwload at the same time, searching the
24 > fastest mirror near you, resume...)
25 >
26 > Go to
27 > http://www.lintux.cx/~kalum/prozilla.html for more details
28 >
29 > I made a change in the make.default where i include a line for prozilla so
30 > just uncomment it and comment the wget line. And try it.
31 >
32 > And concerning the ouput, i think each person have an esthetic point of view
33 > on this.
34 > So i you don't like, just add some command line argument to change it or hack
35 > it (this kind of stuff are generally quiet easy to hack so you can ge wget
36 > look like ftp from FreeBSD/NetBSD).
39 Philipe, did you fix the fetch function already?
40
41 I have an idea how we can make it more flexible for different download
42 apps.
43
44 We can add a script to each download app (example:
45 /usr/lib/portage/fetch/wget.fetch ). This script holds a wrapper
46 function for the fetch programm ,
47 a function to detect if we have already partial downloaded and a
48 function to remove partial downloaded files.
49
50 Then we can replace the FETCHCOMMAND variable with a var called FETCH.
51 If you set this for example to "wget",
52 ebuild sources /usr/lib/portage/fetch/wget.fetch and we can use the
53 functions in ebuild fetch function.
54
55 achim~
59 > > If the new ftp program works well (haven't tested it yet), I'm willing to
60 > > make it the default download app for the above-stated reasons
61 > >
62 > > Best Regards,
65 > gentoo-dev mailing list
66 > gentoo-dev@g.o