From: Philippe Namias <pn@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A better FTP client with Gentoo enhancements
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:11:13
1 On Thursday 22 March 2001 17:18, you wrote:
2 > Philippe Namias wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 22 March 2001 16:44, you wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 09:23:14AM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote:
5 > > > > Ouch... Wget is very lightweight and does an excellent job of what it
6 > > > > is used for. It is small and simple, and easy to understand. Why fix
7 > > > > what isn't broken, anyway?
8 > > >
9 > > > I think it would be a good idea to use the same ftp program as FreeBSD,
10 > > > because their ftp program is great, and it will be another nice thing
11 > > > for FreeBSD users who need to use Linux. It'll make them feel at home.
12 > > > Also, the wget output *is* quite ugly.
13 > >
14 > > The ftp program considering the fecth function as been quite a discussion
15 > > for a long time along FreeBSD developper and i think they still want to
16 > > change it as there are some bug in it (i will try to find out more on
17 > > mailing list). OpenBSD used a different way so...
18 > > Why i disklike using this ftp or wget is the totally absence of
19 > > "intellingence of them". I remember spendig more time downloading stuff
20 > > under FreeBSD than compiling (when leaving fetch do stuff alone).
21 > > That why for my part i recommend Prozilla (Achim wrote an e-mail about
22 > > this one).
23 > > This one is really forward (multiple donwload at the same time, searching
24 > > the fastest mirror near you, resume...)
25 > >
26 > > Go to
27 > > http://www.lintux.cx/~kalum/prozilla.html for more details
28 > >
29 > > I made a change in the make.default where i include a line for prozilla
30 > > so just uncomment it and comment the wget line. And try it.
31 > >
32 > > And concerning the ouput, i think each person have an esthetic point of
33 > > view on this.
34 > > So i you don't like, just add some command line argument to change it or
35 > > hack it (this kind of stuff are generally quiet easy to hack so you can
36 > > ge wget look like ftp from FreeBSD/NetBSD).
37 >
38 > Philipe, did you fix the fetch function already?
39
40 I have been implementing in bash but now i am reimplementig it in Python (as
41 Daniel told that he rewrite ebuild in python ). So give me till the end of
42 the week and on monday i send you my work (i am quite new to python so it
43 take me time sorry)
46 > I have an idea how we can make it more flexible for different download
47 > apps.
48 >
49 > We can add a script to each download app (example:
50 > /usr/lib/portage/fetch/wget.fetch ). This script holds a wrapper
51 > function for the fetch programm ,
52 > a function to detect if we have already partial downloaded and a
53 > function to remove partial downloaded files.
54
55 Good idea. I will go with it. And also i would like to implement a background
56 download if there is multiple depend , example :
57 kdevelop need cvs.
58 i fetch cvs then doing the compile/install but as the time i began download
59 kdevelop
60
61 What do you think?
64 > Then we can replace the FETCHCOMMAND variable with a var called FETCH.
65 > If you set this for example to "wget",
66 > ebuild sources /usr/lib/portage/fetch/wget.fetch and we can use the
67 > functions in ebuild fetch function.
68
69 So we implement a function for each "downloader"?
70
71 prozilla.fetch
72 wget.fetch
73 bsdftp.fetch
76 > achim~
77 >
78 > > > If the new ftp program works well (haven't tested it yet), I'm willing
79 > > > to make it the default download app for the above-stated reasons
80 > > >
81 > > > Best Regards,
82 > >
84 > > gentoo-dev mailing list