From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:33:19
1 On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:22 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 10:39:44PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > At the moment, the only way for a package maintainer to mark a package
4 > > stable is to mark it stable on a "real" arch. Creating the "maintainer"
5 > > arch solves this very problem.
6 >
7 > Yes, but please don't call it the "maintainer" arch. This will confuse our
8 > users and it'll be quite difficult to document. I would rather vote for a
9 > MAINTENANCE keyword, like the following example:
10 >
11 > MAINTENANCE="~x86" # Maintainer uses x86, package not deemed stable
12 >
13 > This provides two (wanted) inputs: stability and maintenance architecture.
14
15 You'd have a really long list of maintenance architectures for me. Like
16 I said, I don't use a single machine. The idea of *any* architecture
17 being my "primary" one just doesn't really fit. There's also the simple
18 fact that it doesn't matter *at all* what the maintainer runs it on,
19 only whether or not (s)he considers it stable.
22 Chris Gianelloni
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux