From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uncoordinated changes
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 07:48:32
1 Dear Ignorant Patrick,
2
3 On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 21:15:34 +0100
4 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > ... or why just changing stuff is not enough:
7 >
8 > A few days ago I was told that
9 > http://euscan.gentooexperimental.org/herds/ was displaying an empty
10 > list. Which is annoying because people sometimes want to see what
11 > upstream updates are available for their herd.
12 >
13 > Well, we renamed herd to project. Because reasons.
14
15 No, we didn't. Herd was collection a packages. Project is a collection
16 of developers. Project coexisted with herds for a long time. As it was
17 explained already in length. Multiple times.
18
19 > I don't care how it is named, but this change broke euscan in a
20 > user-visible way. Now I could just try to rename things there too, but
21 > that won't work:
22 >
23 > euscan uses gentoolkit for parsing metadata.xml and herds.xml
24 > (Since herds.xml is basically unmaintained cruft at this point this will
25 > break soon anyway ... but ...)
26 > Changing gentoolkit to use projects.xml instead of herds.xml won't be a
27 > simple migration since the data organization changed.
28 >
29 > Now instead of looking up [metadata.xml] -> (herd name) -> [herds.xml]
30 > -> email it goes backwards:
31 > [metadata.xml] -> (maintainer type=project) -> email -> [projects.xml]
32 > -> Project name
33 >
34 > Since this involves XML and python's ElementTree library it's a
35 > nontrivial change that also removes a few now useless helpers
36 > (_get_herd_email has no reason to be, but we'd need a _get_herd_name
37 > helper instead. Err, get_proj ... ah well, whatever name works)
38 >
39 > And all that just so (1) gentoolkit output works and (2) euscan updates
40 > properly. Both of which I don't really care about much, but now that
41 > I've invested ~4h into debugging and trying to fix it I'm a tiny bit
42 > IRRITATED.
43
44 You are completely incorrect, as you have been told already multiple
45 times. People would really appreciate if you spent at least a little
46 part of the time you spend complaining, inventing issues and insulting
47 others listening to what they're telling you.
48
49 So let me repeat, again. euscan works. Want packages from Python
50 project? Then select the appropriate maintainer from the 'maintainers'
51 section:
52
53 http://euscan.gentooexperimental.org/maintainers/python@g.o/
54
55 Done. Was it that hard? Now the big surprise: you didn't have to create
56 some convoluted logic to get that! You don't need projects.xml to get
57 that! Of course, you'd know that if you would listen for a single
58 minute instead of throwing insults at others.
59
60 > Please, next time someone has the brilliant idea of changing stuff just
61 > to change it (I still don't see a reason why we had to change
62 > metadata.xml?), it should be required that support tools are fixed
63 > *before* the change, and working versions released. This avoids grumpy
64 > people and makes it harder for those that change things to head-in-sand
65 > and claim everything works as expected when it obviously doesn't.
66
67 The fact is: things *work as expected*. If you have problem accepting
68 reality as it is, then it's your fault, not ours. Herds no longer
69 exist. Everything is based on *maintainers* now. Tools are not supposed
70 to magically turn project information back into herd-oriented design.
71
72 As I said before, please direct any further complaints directly to
73 the Council, and stop insulting the messenger. The Council has banned
74 herds explicitly before I even started working on GLEP 67. It was
75 the guideline I had to follow.
78 Best regards,
79 Michał Górny
80 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>