From: Nicolas Vollmar <nv1@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:14:28
1 On Friday 19 March 2004 11:05, xtv@×××××.de wrote:
2 > I think this would be a good feature for desktop-gentoo-users which dont
3 > want to be intimidated with a too much on configuration details and/or
4 > missing skills to configure everything they want by webminor vi. Also you
5 > could replace the rpm-support with portage-support and would have a good
6 > base for a gentoo-installer.
7
8 It would be a good feature for such users. I've used SuSE Linux since 6.4 to
9 9.0 and YaST has become really nice and it has a large hardware database.
10 But one reason because i've swiched to gentoo was Yast too.
11
12 I've installed Linux 2.6.3 and i got some problems with the soundcard. There
13 was somewhere a conflict with Yast/ALSA and I was not able to use Yast again
14 to configure the soundcard. Some components of Yast might be adapted to the
15 distribution itself (Kernel, Libs etc).
16 Someone there who have more knowledge about this?
17
18 One other point is that Yast stores all settings in a own DB and overwrite the
19 config files in /etc even changes by the user.
22 I believe to use Yast in Gentoo there are some changes necessary to prevent
23 conflicts but it might be a good choice.
24
25 mfg
26 Nicolas
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list