From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:24:00
1 Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > by banning non-dev contributors from this list some of you may feel better
3 > - but gentoo as a whole will probably suffer. silencing people doesn't
4 > make their opinions invalid.
5
6 I keep seeing this argument over and over again. Many people are just completely
7 misunderstanding.
8
9 This is not a blanket silencing of any non-dev on the list. This is simply
10 delaying the posting of messages from non-devs (and even devs that have
11 "improperly" moderated in the past). If nobody moderates a particular message to
12 the list within a set amount of time, the message passes through.
13
14 Making the list "moderated" isn't the same as making a channel moderated on IRC.
15 Anyone will still be able to speak, just with a slight delay, which allows us to
16 maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio, and hopefully prevent re-occurrences of
17 some of the nastier flamewars we've seen on the list lately.
20 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
21 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list