From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting summary for 10 July 2008
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:00:33
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh kirjoitti:
3 >> So you're saying the GLEP's of no use until Portage supports them, but
4 >> Portage can't support them until you say yes to the GLEP...
7 > I am saying that it makes sense to approve both at the same time or have
8 > other official package managers approved before accepting the GLEP.
11 I'm not sure that implementation of new features in portage or official
12 status for other package managers needs to be a condition for acceptance
13 of this GLEP. The council's main concern was that there wasn't a
14 clearly defined immediate need for the GLEP so it was sensible to defer
15 it. That isn't an unreasonable suggestion.
16
17 Would it be more constructive to create a list of new
18 features/capabilities that depend on this GLEP. For each I'd define:
19
20 1. The feature/unmet need.
21 2. Why it can't be done or can only be done poorly without the new GLEP.
22 3. When we're likely to see the feature become available assuming the
23 GLEP were approved.
24 4. What package managers are likely to implement it. (Ie their
25 maintainers endorse the need.
26
27 It sounds like this list might already have some items on it - so why
28 not document them?
29
30 If the council wants to avoid approving the GLSA for a merely
31 theoretical need they might offer to endorse the idea but delay it
32 pending the implementation of one or more of the new features in one,
33 two, or all three major package managers, or pending support by portage.
34 That would give developers some assurance that they wouldn't waste
35 time going down a road only to be shot down later.
36
37 It is good for the well-being of Gentoo that the council be relatively
38 conservative with regard to potentially-disruptive decisions. They
39 simply want to see that the benefits outweigh the costs. So, just show
40 them the benefits. At some point the case for going forward outweighs
41 the reluctance to do so.
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list